Once installed, Privacy Corrector will immediately display a fake message saying that you need to run your computer in "Protected Mode" for some reason.
Protected Mode has a number of features designed to enhance an operating system's control over application software, in order to increase security and system stability. These additions allow the operating system to function in a way that would be significantly more difficult or even impossible without proper hardware support.
If you attempt to run Task Manager or some other tools, Privacy Corrector will terminate them and state that they do not have digital certificates or something like that.
Furthermore, Privacy Corrector will display a bunch of fake security warning and notifications to further scare you into thinking that your computer is compromised.
The home page of Privacy Corrector is Privacycorrector.com.
Without a doubt, PrivacyCorrector is not safe to use and you shouldn't trust it. If you have purchased it then please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges. The removal instructions below will show you how to remove Privacy Corrector from your computer. If you have any questions or additional information about his malware, please leave a comment. Good luck and be safe online!
Privacy Corrector removal instructions:
1. When you start your computer you may see a fake screen titled "Processing Unprotected startup". Just wait till it finishes and click OK. PrivacyCorrector will appear on your computer screen. Click the X in the top right corner of the window to close the program. Once you close the Privacy Corrector program, your Windows desktop should appear.
2. Click Start → Run (or WinKey+R).
3. Type in: cmd and click OK. Command prompt window will show up.
4. Type in: taskkill /f /im PrivacyCorrector.exe OR taskkill /f /im protect.exe and click Enter. This will stop Privacy Corrector.
5. Download shell-fix.reg. Double-click to run it. Click "Yes" when it asks if you want to add the information to the registry. This file will fix the Windows Shell entry.
6. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
7. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Alternate Privacy Corrector removal instructions (in Safe Mode with Networking):
1. Reboot your computer is "Safe Mode with Networking". As the computer is booting tap the "F8 key" continuously which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter key. Read more detailed instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
NOTE: Login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode.
2. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
3. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Privacy Corrector associated files and registry values:
- %UserProfile%\Application Data\protect.exe
- C:\Program Files\PC\Privacy Corrector
- C:\Program Files\PC\Privacy Corrector\1.ico
- C:\Program Files\PC\Privacy Corrector\Privacy Corrector.exe
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Privacy Corrector\
%UserProfile% refers to:
C:\Documents and Settings\ for Windows XP,
C:\Users\ for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "Shell" = "%UserProfile%\Application Data\protect.exe"
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PC\Privacy Corrector
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Protect = PrivacyCorrector.exe
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system EnableLUA = 0x00000000 ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin = 0x00000000 ConsentPromptBehaviorUser = 0x00000000