Internet Security Essentials is a re-branded version of Smart Internet Protection 2011 rogueware. What does this rogue program actually do? It just copies several random files into the %UserProfile% directory and then "flags" those files as malware. Some of the files that can be listed as malicious software: PE.exe, DBOLE.exe, CLSV.tmp, kernel32.exe, std.dll, grid.sys. Furthermore, Internet Security Essentials changes your Windows settings to use a proxy server that will not allow you to browse any or certain web pages. It also modifies Windows Hosts files and may even block other programs on your computer. Last, but not least, Internet Security Essentials displays fake security warnings and notifications saying that your computer is infected with dangerous malware or under attack from a remote computer.
Attention! 20 infected files detected!
Warning! Identity theft attempt detected
Target: Microsoft Corporation keys
System alertAs you can see, Internet Security Essentials is a scam. You should not purchase it, and if you have, please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges. To remove Internet Security Essentials and any related malware, please follow the removal instructions below. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. You can leave a message using the contact form below. Good luck and be safe online!
Internet Security Essentials has detected potentially harmful software in your system. It is strongly recommended that you register Internet Security Essentials to remove all found threats immediately.
Internet Security Essentials removal instructions:
1. Reboot your computer is "Safe Mode with Networking". As the computer is booting tap the "F8 key" continuously which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter key. Read more detailed instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
NOTE: Login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode.
2. Launch Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer go to: Tools->Internet Options->Connections tab. Click Lan Settings button and uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Click OK. You may have to repeat steps 1-2 if you will have problems downloading malware removal programs.
3. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
4. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Alternate Internet Security Essentials removal instructions using HijackThis or Process Explorer (in Normal mode):
1. Launch Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer go to: Tools->Internet Options->Connections tab. Click Lan Settings button and uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Click OK.
2. Download Process Explorer.
3. Rename procexp.exe to iexplore.exe and run it. Look for similar process in the list and end it:
Launch the iexplore.exe and click "Do a system scan only" button.
If you can't open iexplore.exe file then download explorer.scr and run it. Search for similar entries in the scan results:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:18392
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Internet Security Essentials] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\FN43g_392.exe" /s /d
Select all similar entries and click once on the "Fix checked" button. Close HijackThis tool.
4. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
5. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Internet Security Essentials associated files and registry values:
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\FN43g_392.exe
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].dll
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].ocx
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SMEYFE
- %UserProfile%\Application Data\Internet Security Essentials\
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName] (for Windows 2000/XP)
C:\Users\[UserName]\ (for Windows Vista & Windows 7)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download "RunInvalidSignatures" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "ProxyServer" = "http=127.0.0.1:18392"
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Internet Security Essentials"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options "Debugger" = "svchost.exe"