Smart Internet Protection 2011 will be configured to start automatically. It changes certain Windows registry keys and adds a new start-up process. This rogue hijacks Internet Explorer and changes Local Area Connection settings to use a proxy server that will not allow you to browse almost any web pages. Smart Internet Protection 2011 will change your default search page to findgala.com that's probably because the developers of the rogue program are affiliated with this search page. What is more, it will modify Windows Hosts file and changes its permission so that you couldn't edit it. Furthermore, Smart Internet Protection 2011 will display fake security warnings about identity thefts attempts and dangerous infections that may cause serious damage to the system. Please ignore any of the scan results and security alerts this program displays. This application was only created to trick you into purchasing it. It provides false sense of security. You should not purchase it, and if you have, please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges. To remove Smart Internet Protection 2011 and any related malware, please follow the steps in the removal instructions below. Please tell your friends about this threat. If you have any questions about this rogue program, please leave a comment. Good luck and be safe online!
Smart Internet Protection 2011 removal instructions:
1. Reboot your computer is "Safe Mode with Networkin>g". As the computer is booting tap the "F8 key" continuously which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter key. Read more detailed instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
NOTE: Login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode.
2. Launch Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer go to: Tools->Internet Options->Connections tab. Click Lan Settings button and uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Click OK. You may have to repeat steps 1-2 if you will have problems downloading malware removal programs.
3. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
4. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Alternate Smart Internet Protection 2011 removal instructions using HijackThis or Process Explorer (in Normal mode):
1. Launch Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer go to: Tools->Internet Options->Connections tab. Click Lan Settings button and uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Click OK.
2. Download Process Explorer.
3. Rename procexp.exe to iexplore.exe and run it. Look for similar process in the list and end it:
Launch the iexplore.exe and click "Do a system scan only" button.
If you can't open iexplore.exe file then download explorer.scr and run it. Search for similar entries in the scan results:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:25775
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Smart Internet Protection 2011] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\20eab6\SI20e_289.exe" /s /d
Select all similar entries and click once on the "Fix checked" button. Close HijackThis tool.
4. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
5. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Smart Internet Protection 2011 associated files and registry values:
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\20eab6\
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\20eab6\SI20e_289.exe
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\20eab6\35.mof
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\20eab6\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].dll
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\sqhdr5\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].ocx
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SMEYFE
- %UserProfile%\Application Data\Smart Internet Protection 2011\
C:\Documents and Settings\ (for Windows 2000/XP)
C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData (for Windows Vista & Windows 7)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download "RunInvalidSignatures" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "ProxyServer" = "http=127.0.0.1:25775"
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Smart Internet Protection 2011"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options "Debugger" = "svchost.exe"