Windows Optimization & Security is from the same family as Windows System Optimizator. Scammers change their bogus software names very often but they do not change graphical user interface that often. It is always a good idea to do some research about suspicious program before purchasing it. Many Internet users still fall victim to such rogue scanners. If the program just pops up on your computer screen like from nowhere and you know for sure that you didn't install it then most likely it's a fraud.
Windows Optimization & Security is distributed via Trojan. It impersonates Microsoft Security Essentials and displays a fake security warning saying that your computer is infected with unknown virus.
It will then suggest you to install Windows Optimization & Security to remove the virus which of course doesn't even exist. In order to finish the installation you have to restart your computer.
After reboot, Windows Optimization & Security will hide your desktop icons and task bar. It will pretend to scan your computer for viruses and errors. Click OK to scan your computer. After the fake scan, please click on the X at the top right of the Windows Optimization & Security Window to close the program.
Once you close the program, your Windows Desktop will load normally. Please read removal instructions below for more information. Then you will have two options. You can download Process Explorer, rename it to iexplore.exe and end the main process of this scareware. Or you can go to Application Data folder and rename the main executable of Windows Optimization & Security malware. If you choose the second method then you will have to reboot your computer. The fake scanner won't pop up on your computer and you will be able to download malware removal program.
Fake Windows Optimization & Security warning:
AttentionWithout a doubt, Windows Optimization & Security is a scam. If you have purchased it, please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges. Then please follow the steps in the removal guide below to remove Windows Optimization & Security and related malware from your computer. Please inform your friends about this threat. Good luck and be safe online!
Considerable System productivity decline is observed.
Total System scanning is recommended to remove all the reasons of productivity decline.
Windows Optimization & Security removal instructions:
1. Rename the main executable of Windows Optimization & Security malware:
In Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
In Windows Vista/7:
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Here's an example in Windows XP:
In our case, the file was wvpfmt. Look for similar file and rename it to malware. Then restart your computer. This should disable Windows Optimization & Security. After reboot, please continue with the rest of the removal process. NOTE: By default, Application Data folder is hidden. If you can find it, please read Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows.
3. Download shell-fix.reg. Double-click to run it. Click "Yes" when it asks if you want to add the information to the registry. This file will fix the Windows Shell entry.
4. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
4. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
Alternate Windows Optimization & Security removal instructions (in Safe Mode with Networking):
1. Reboot your computer is "Safe Mode with Networking". As the computer is booting tap the "F8 key" continuously which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter key. Read more detailed instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
NOTE: Login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode.
2. Download free anti-malware software from the list below and run a full system scan.
3. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
Windows Optimization & Security associated files and registry values:
In Windows XP:
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "Shell" = "%UserProfile%\Application Data\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS]"