Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com both are relatively new web search engines. We won't go into details about the quality of the search results this time, they probably return mixed results from Yahoo!, Bing and other popular web search engines. However, both websites have a poor reputation, according to MyWot. Some people think that Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com are related to malware. You can easily find forum threads claiming that Startsear.ch is a virus/spyware. Other people say it's a browser home page hijacker, etc. In short, Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com are not categorized as malicious websites and they do not distribute malware either. At least, we didn't find any evidence.
The biggest problem is that Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com are being promoted through the use of freeware and add-ons/plugins. For example, when you install vShare plugin, your default home page and web search provider may be changed to either startsear.ch or searchcompletion.com. However, when you uninstall vShare from your computer, your web browser's default settings will not be restored. This means that you have to remove startsear.ch or searchcompletion.com from your favorite web browser manually. It affects Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The following instructions have been created to help you to remove startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you you have any questions or additional information about this issue, please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
Scan your computer with recommended anti-malware software (direct download) to remove this browser hijacker from your computer. Then please follow the removal instructions below to remove the leftovers of this infection depending on web browser you use.
Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com removal instructions:
First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this browser hijacker. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
Remove Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons.
2. Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Bing search engine and make it your default search provider (set as default). Then select Web Search and click Remove button to uninstall it (lower right corner of the window).
3. Go to Tools → Internet Options. Select General tab and click Use default button or enter your own website, e.g. gooog.com instead of Startsear.ch or searchcompletion.com. Click OK to save the changes.
Remove Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Click the small magnifier icon at the right top corner as shown in the image below. Select Manage Search Engines... from the list.
2. Select Web Search and click Remove button. Click OK to save the changes.
3. Go to Tools → Options. Under the General tab reset the startup homepage. That's it.
Remove Startsear.ch and search.searchcompletion.com from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Customize and control Google Chrome icon and select Options.
2. Choose Basic Options. Change Google Chrome homepage to google.com or any other and click the Manage search engines... button.
3. Select Google from the list and make it your default search engine.
4. Select Web Search from the list remove it by clicking the "X" mark as shown in the image below. That's it.
Share this information with your friends: